Oooh I had a lot of fun with this one!
So I decided to do the NOPE book tag! I don’t know who created this tag to – but if you do please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due!
So the NOPE book tag is all about saying NOPE to things in the bookish world – characters, series, authors, genres, tropes on and on the list goes!
Before I get started, I just want to say that just because I personally don’t like these things IT DOES NOT MEAN OTHER PEOPLE CAN’T LIKE THEM! Don’t be ridiculous. The following are of course my actual real opinions, but the worst books in my opinion could be other people’s favourites and THAT’S OK!
So please try and have fun with this nope book tag because I sure did!
Also, before we get into this, I did a much more in depth version of the nope book tag over on my YouTube channel so if that’s your sort of thing, go and subscribe and you can also watch it below!
But if you wanna read, let’s get right on in to it!
1. NOPE Ending: A book ending that made you go NOPE either in denial, rage, or simply because the ending was crappy. Sadie by Courtney Summers 100% takes this! It’s not that I didn’t like the ending (I loved the book!) but the ending was SO ambiguous – on purpose! You as a reader are supposed to make up your own mind as to what happened…but I don’t wanna make up my own mind! I wanna know what happened!
2. NOPE Protagonist: A main character you dislike and drives you crazy. Mare Barrow. From the Red Queen series. Just, fucking everything about her is unfathomably stupid.
3. NOPE Series: A series that turned out to be one huge pile of NOPE. after you’ve invested all of that time and energy on it, or a series you gave up on because it wasn’t worth it anymore. The Red Queen series immediately gets this prestigious honor…but the ‘Dark‘ series by Kendare Blake is a close second!
4. NOPE Popular pairing: A “ship” you don’t support Katniss and Gale. Just stop. Katniss and Peeta FOR LIFE!
5. NOPE Plot twist: A plot twist you didn’t see coming or didn’t like. Not gonna spoil it, obviously, but it’s in this book – Kingsbane and I didn’t see it coming…damn. Check out my review of the first book here.
6. NOPE Protagonist action/decision: A character decision that made you shake your head NOPE. Mare Barrow (again) and everything she does in this series. Urgh.
7. NOPE Genre: A genre you will never read. Erotica. I want to watch my porn, not read it. No shade to anyone who reads erotica, it’s just not for me.
8. NOPE Book format: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition. I don’t ‘hate’ them but I’m not overly fond of ebooks. But I like e-graphic novels!
9. NOPE Trope: A trope that makes you go NOPE. Insta-love. No. stop it. You can have insta-lust, sure. Insta-infatuation, insta-crush – they all make sense and can either go somewhere and grow into love, or go nowhere and be a one-night stand or crush etc. But stop this bullshit of insta-LOVE! YA – I’m looking at you! Get your shit together!
10. NOPE Recommendation: A book recommendation that is constantly hyped and pushed at you that you simply refuse to read. Twilight. ‘But its not that bad’. ‘But it kinda helps define the YA genre’. ‘But it’s a YA classic’. Shh. I’m. not. Interested. Go away.
11. NOPE Cliche/pet peeve: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes. When characters let out a breath they didn’t know they were holding. Give me a break – how is that even still a thing?!
12. NOPE Love interest: The love interest that’s not worthy of being one. A character you don’t think should have been a viable love interest. Isn’t this like the ship earlier? Cos Gale is kinda shown to be a love interest? Fine. I’ll pick another. Ron and Hermione. I just don’t buy into it. I just don’t. Harry and Ginny I can kinda get – but it’s strange how everyone who already knows everyone and went through school together all end up together.
Like, do these people not have a life?! No shade to the high-school sweethearts out there who buck the stats occasionally – but really!? I know a lot happened at Hogwarts over those years, but jeez. Get out more. Meet new people!
13. NOPE Book: A book that shouldn’t have existed that made you say NOPE. 50 Shades of Grey. No hesitation there. For all the reasons you’ve heard before. Fuck that book. I think this series is a dangerous piece of shit that normalises mental abuse and is MASSIVLEY factually incorrect of the BDSM community and the author legit thinks it’s a real LOVE story! Nope!
14. NOPE Villain: A scary villain/antagonist you would hate to cross and would make you run in the opposite direction. Bellatrix. That bitch is fucking crazy.
15. NOPE Death: A character death that still haunts you. Usually I’d be in spoiler free territory here, but it’s in the title so I’m not counting that. Rufus and Mateo from They Both Die At The End. Aw man that book had me ugly crying!
16. NOPE Author: An author you had a bad experience reading for and have decided to quit. Victoria Aveyard, the author of the Red Queen series. I gave Veronica Roth another try and loved her new stuff that wasn’t derivative of something else *cough* The Hunger Games *cough* but Aveyard is an author I can’t back at all. I don’t like her writing or her characters or anything at all, and I don’t like her attitude to negative reviews or people who don’t like her stuff.
Go google it. You’ll see things like comments being removed from AMA’s etc.People are allowed to have an opinion, if an author doesn’t like it, they should get over themselves and just deal with it. I went off about this in my War Storm rant if you’re interested. I’ll link it in the description.
AND THAT’S IT!
Thanks for hanging out! That was a lot of fun and extremely cathartic!
Let me know what you thought below and don’t forget to check out my YouTube channel!
Thank you so much for checking out my post! If you liked it let me know by tapping the like button! Feel free to leave a comment too! I reply to all my comments! ❤
If you’d like to support me there are several ways you can do that! A great way is by using my affiliate link for Book Depository to do you book shopping! They offer free worldwide delivery and it doesn’t cost you anything extra.
Again, thank you so much for stopping by! ❤