Right, first thing is first: You can 100% enjoy and love something but still be critical of its flaws. That’s what’s going on here, some lighthearted fun-poking at a great book.
Second – here be spoilers, so if that’s not your thing you might prefer to check out some of my other posts.
Third – this isn’t exactly a review – it’s more of a spoiler-filled collection of thoughts that I had whilst reading the book, so don’t expect coherence here. In fact, you might find my video review better for that!
- 1. I know the main character is called Noemi. But Ginger Minj playing Adele in the Snatch Game of whatever season of Ru Paul’s Drag Race ruined that for me and I cracked up every time I heard it in my head – it totally ruined immersion. Not the author’s fault, of course, but I wanted to be immersed, so I called her Naomi. 😂
- 2. Sentient mushroom symbiotes ultimately being the ‘main bad guy’ might trip a few people up, but I personally loved it and I found that the authors writing really helped make it work! 🖤
- 3. Noemi was a lil fast and loose with her morals when it came to killing. She couldn’t kill Virgil, despite having multiple reasons to and a great opportunity, yet she had no problem slashing throats seconds later with someone else. 🤷♀️
- 4. She may as well have announed her plans to the bad guys too. The house can’t understand Spanish, yet Noemi (despite being fluent in Spanish – native in fact!) speaks English. Bitch, why are you speaking english?! Just fucking broadcast your plans ona loud speaker why don’t you? 🤷♀️
- 5. Noemi is a smoker. She finds out the house doesn’t like her cigarette smoke. So she….stops smoking. Bitch, use your cigarettes! You know the house doesn’t like it! Da fuq? 🤷♀️
- 6. the body horror in this book was gross, in such a good way! It got under my skin and it was amazing! SO effective! 🖤
- 7. The amber ring plot point…did I miss something with that? Cos I’ve no idea what the significance was. 🤷♀️
- 8. I feel like the plot got a bit convoluted at times and unnecessarily convenient in places. 😕
- 9. But some nice gothic atmosphere with some vivid imagery. 🖤
- 10. The grinning servents bit…yeah that would fuck me up too. Reminds me of the Silent Hill nurses for the ‘don’t go near them’ vibes! Loved it! 🖤
- 11. There were a few underdeveloped characters, which is a shame. It’s only a 300 page stroy, give us 50 more pages and flesh them out please! 😕
- 12. The multiple posion scenes…Noemi, darling…maybe take some of the jam and toast etc and flush it away or soemthing to make it seem like your eatting it? So that they don’t know you’re fine and they think they’re winning…yeah? No? gonna be dumb and only eat the safe food despite you not supposed to know anything about it and be super obvious? Cool. It’s only your own life. 🤷♀️
- 13. Also girl, know you’ve been poisoned? But you don’t wanna vomit or anything, to, you know, purge the poison from your body? Don’t even wanna try that? Nah? Cool fam. Enjoy being a mushroom slave. 😂
Ok, so some of these points come across as quite harsh, I know. But that’s not suposed to be mean-spirited. I really loved this book but I couldn’t help but notice some of the more silly aspects about it!
Have you read Mexican Gothic? What did you think of it?
Thank you so much for checking out my post! If you liked it let me know by tapping the like button! Feel free to leave a comment too! I reply to all my comments! 🖤